Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This Post is Poorly Written

I ended up finding the contacts I needed for my wipers through the local GM dealership, even though they had told me that they couldn't find any. They charged me three times the market value ($10, up from $3), but I picked them up the next day and was ready to go. The last time I fixed my own wipers I thought broke them because they worked a little worse than they had been, but worked. This time was a completely different story.

I called the local mechanic who is always too busy working on cop cars to do anything else. He blew me off and told me to call another mechanic to do it. It was getting kind of late and I needed to have wipers the next day, so I decided to fix it myself. Once I gathered the right tools and disassembled the wiper assembly, I learned a few things:

After installing the contacts and motor cover, I tried my wipers and the motor was doing the same thing. It turns out that the Autozone wiper motor I had installed last year already broken. One of the metal arms broke free and got lodged into a small piece of plastic. This is what caused the motor cover (including the motor controller circuits) to crack, which is what I thought caused the wipers to stop working last month.

I proceeded to reinstall the old wiper motor, which I lazily left in my trunk for the last year. Despite being a little rusty, it works beautifully. I reassembled the wiper assembly, reapplied the cover strip, and reattached the wiper arms. My wipers now work on all of the speeds, including the intermittent ones. The washer pump also works so I don't have to put up with my dirty windshield any longer. Now I just have to change my oil and rotate my tires and I'll be set for a while.

4 comments :

  1. Glad your wipers are fixed. And great job doing it yourself! <3 Your post was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could write as fluidly as in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed at the handiness... I try to change my oil and have problems. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Good job Rich!

    ReplyDelete