Thursday, July 10, 2008

What the Fuck Have You Done Lately?

It seems like the more things I try to do the less I actually accomplish. I got home around three hours ago and decided that I was going to do something constructive. I put down the controller and sat down at my computer, guitar in hand. I wanted to learn to play Highway to Hell by AC/DC, but got bored after only a few minuter. I tried to work on one of the many scripts I've started, but have no direction for any of them. The only thing I managed to do was find my favorite songs from my music collection and dump them in Winamp. And I might just have the patience to finish this post.

I went to the Pickerel Tournament (a local carnival) on the 4th of July. I was pretty excited walking there from Jason's house because it had been a few years since I went to a carnival just to have fun, but my excitement was quickly drowned by the lameness I encountered. There weren't any rides worth buying tickets for. The best one would be the 1/60 scale version of the Power Tower that only worked in drop mode (opposed to launch mode). The Elephant Ears were $5.50 and greasy, the lemonade was $3 for a small and full of ice, the band royally sucked, I kept tripping over poorly placed cords, the show monkey wasn't really doing very much, the other people were assholes, and I didn't get to watch the fireworks because they were the next day and I had to work. All in all, it was a complete flop. I did, however get my hands on 10 boxes of snappers for $3. That was good.

It's amazing how much money the carnival must rake in. There was as stand where you could throw rings around old fashioned bottles to win goldfish. It cost $3 to play, and assuming you have a 33.3% chance of winning (which I think is a fair assessment assuming you must get all 3 rings around a bottle), in a best case scenario the carnival could make $9. That's a 750% return, considering a comet goldfish costs 12 cents. If they unloaded all 150 of their fish, that's $1272 a day, after paying the attendant. Add in the severely overpriced sundries, the various games, and tickets and you've got yourself quite a racket going.

5 comments :

  1. You forgot to post the picture of the Power(less) Tower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't forget. I was just lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, drop some knowledge on those carnies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I go one month without internet and your blog explodes with posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pickerel Tournament sucks the same every year... just not worth it. That's a bummer that you missed out on the fireworks though.

    ReplyDelete