Saturday, March 15, 2014

5. Psych Textbooks

My psychology class was absolutely abysmal. The instructor insisted that we cite a source for everything we say, including opinion pieces. This made most of my required responses incredibly drab and uninspired. I did make a good few points about the globalization of culture toward the end of the class, which I think she liked. Among the things that made me dislike the class is the fact that I had to pay for two completely different, but equally important text book.

The first one was PSYCH, which I bought from the Macomb bookstore. This book was pretty solidly written and explained many things in a technical way that really made the material interesting for me. I also like that it included a small "True or False" quiz at the beginning of each chapter so that I could recall information that I had previously learned or heard of. The book did include a number of full page ads for the publisher of the book, which was completely unnecessary in a $90 text book. Unfortunately, Macomb sold me the incorrect book and my return window had closed before I realized so.

This didn't cause much of a problem until one night I needed information from one of the trivial inserts in the official class book. I was prompted, out of desperation of the imminent homework deadline, to buy the ebook version of Mastering the World of Psychology. This is without a doubt, the most absolutely useless piece of tripe that has been written in the history of human civilization. It is dumbed down to the point where I learned almost nothing from the book and only used it to get information that I needed to do my homework and look up answers for the online quizzes. The book lacks any sort of imagination or accurate information. Do not like!

No comments :

Post a Comment