Thursday, September 28, 2006

Defragment, Disable Indexing, and Partition

I worked on the movie a little today. I'm having a tough time finding a transition between 2 parts of this scene. Marie and Stephanie get up from the couch and sit at the kitchen table. I have footage of them going to sit down, but I just don't like it. It takes too long and it's just an unpleasant angle. I don't want to just cut away to the conversation at the table either. I'm in kind of a bind, but it's okay because I'm closer to being finished now than I ever was.

I've also come up with a new project. I was looking for a Windows XP performance tweak checklist, to pass along to a friend, but I couldn't find one. There was a ton of information available, but it was all over the place and I needed something nice and compact. So I figured I'm as qualified as anyone to write such a guide because I religiously tweak my Windows installations. I could even cover Windows 9x for those who need it.

The only problem with that is Vista. The next installment of the Windows operating system is coming out in less than six months and people are going to be forced to upgrade rather quickly for security reasons (and to net the corporation some cash, of course). I don't know how long I'll stick to writing a guide that will be obsolete in less than a year. It would give me a pretty good sense of accomplishment though. And that's something I've really been needing recently.

It could be my foot in the door to publishing computer books. I've always wanted to do something like it, but I've never quite considered myself an expert, until now. I just realized today that I really enjoy helping people with computers, even though I have very little patience. Writing computer help books aimed at unexperienced users may be something I could really get into. Or I could just run a site with the same purpose. Or I could do both. I'm still deciding.

6 comments :

  1. Anonymous28/9/06 20:35

    So. is the weird angle of our butts? cuz that would be weird :P jp. Thanks for helping me forever today with my stupid computer. Its fixed yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I choose to exercise my fifth amendment right about the butt thing. And fixing your computer made me realize my nerdy potential, even though I would have liked to save your data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous28/9/06 22:56

    I like big butts and I cannot lie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous28/9/06 23:33

    LOL....ok Jason...stop looking at my ASS!!!!!


    And hun do whatever you feel you need to. And I am soo happy you are finding something you like. ANd I am excited for the video. Let me know how it goes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous29/9/06 01:26

    Wait a second Jason.... are you calling my butt big??? :P <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/10/06 20:12

    I've been meaning to make one of those, too, because I reinstall Windows practically once a month, and I have a LOT of experience on this stuff. But I'm too lazy.
    Don't forget about patching uxtheme.dll and editing msconfig!

    ReplyDelete