Monday, December 03, 2007

Delayed Effect

I think I have a problem with spending money appropriately. It all started two months ago when I got $100 for house sitting. I usually spend the entire amount on repaying my student loan - half right away and the other half the following week. But at that time I thought I deserved to spend a little something on myself, so I cashed $50 and spent the other $50 on my loan. I really didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but it was.

I was going to buy a wireless Dance Dance Revolution pad I saw at Movie Gallery for $15, since I broke mine. Instead I ended up buying dinner for Jason and myself at Wonton Palace in town. That only cost $12, but discouraged me from springing for the dance pad. Immediately after leaving dinner, I made Jason drive to the new coffee shop on Water Street for a cappuccino. I probably would have enjoyed it if I could have tasted it; I had a severe cold at the time and the cream didn't make things any better. That probably cost $6.

After that, every time Jason came over I would have him drive us to Marathon to get some coffee. I figured it would last a while because it's only $2.28 for the sizes Jason and I get. Then to finish the money off I vaguely recall buying around $8 worth of cookies at Save-a-Lot. The funny thing is that every time I would offer to buy Jason something he'd remind me that I should save my money for something I need. Of course I'd insist that I wanted to spend something on myself (and Jason) and that it was only $50.

November rolls around and my parents are short on cash. That wouldn't be a problem if I had stashed that money away the month before. But I figured I'd get little amounts of money from my parents and it would add up. The problem with that is that every time I'd get a little sum of money I'd go spend it on coffee and sweets. Once again, Jason constantly reminded me to save the money for something I needed. Looking back, I probably should have listened.

A few days ago my dad gave me $20 in case I needed anything. Since it was too late to get enough for my student loan bill, I figured I'd let it lapse a month (like that's some sort of solution or something) and get a haircut and new razor blades. I got the haircut the next day, but I the rest of the plan didn't go too well. I was feeling depressed the other day and had Jason drive us to Marathon. Jason did what he does, but I ignored him like always. Between then and the time we got there Jason was also feeling bad, so I bought a bag of his favorite chips (I like them too, but they're $3.69) along with the two coffees.

The razor blades I buy are $10 after a $2 off coupon. I had just enough to get them after the haircut. But getting out of the house and getting something to drink was obviously more important. Yesterday I took my aunt around and on the way home I stopped ad the Dry Dock. Since I couldn't afford the blades at that point, I was originally only going to get a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper. but my little cousin was with us, so I figured I'd get her something too. I ended up getting a $4 bag of popcorn, a juice, a 2 liter, and 4 mini Slim Jims for my aunt. I spent every last penny, and then some.

Now it's December. My mom's birthday is tomorrow, and I can't afford to buy her anything. I can't even go to the Dollar Store for some candles or something. I know she's going to be mad and/or hurt, but there's nothing I can do now because I foolishly spent all my money. With my now $100 student loan bill creeping up, I can't even afford to buy anything for Christmas. I don't even know if I'll be able to make the minimum payment. If I would have just stuck that money in my bank account, I wouldn't be in this mess and I could at least pretend to be happy about December.

So, in essence, a stupid decision I made in October allowed me to ruin Christmas again.

25 comments :

  1. Anonymous3/12/07 11:15

    One of my all time favorite gifts came from Julie. She filled a jar with little notes that each started "I love my mom because..." some of them were kind of corny, but I loved it.
    You could do this for your mom, it is extremely inexpensive and she'll think it's priceless. Ok, I know you'll have to work a little to find things to list, but you can use any good or funny thing that has happened anytime during your entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you told me that story when I had my holiday crisis last year. It's a great suggestion, but I don't think my mom would like that too much. I'm pretty sure she has her heart set on pearls, as she mentions it about once a week.

    The birthday problem has been solved! My dad gave me $10 and I'm heading out to the dollar store for more candles. Or maybe a really big candle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad you're able to get her a gift, now.

    The key to better spending habits is to be frugal (says the person who, when he has money, always buys new games and gadgets) and to listen to me when I say to hold on to your money. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did not 'ruin Christmas'. If you feel that you have to spend money to make Christmas real, then Christmas itself is already ruined.

    ...Says the person that gave someone a CD full of cracked software for his birthday. Oh, yeah, and MP3s. Back in the day, having more than 650MB worth of MP3s was luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if it'll help your Christmas Crisis at all, but I am also low on cash (~ $5,700 in tutition due this semester) so, if you promise to not get me anything, I won't feel bad about not getting you anything and we each will have 1 less person to stress about money over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a deal Julie. On a side note, do you still have your hat?

    I'd also like to propose the same deal to Jason, Steph, and Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/12/07 23:36

    I really have to think about this one....

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't get me that gold plated, emerald encrusted Wiimote that you promised me, I shall be verily vexed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do still have the hat =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steph, I'll give you a great big hug.

    Julie, I'm glad you still have the hat. :)

    Jacen, I'll get you the Wiimote I promised when you get me the Uber-rare, 2 terabyte, platinum Zune you promised me (Yes, I want a Zune!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zune's are crazy, but fun

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a pearl necklace that you could re-gift to your mom, but I don't have a box for them. If you can find a necklace gift box, she never has to know that they're second-hand pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She'd be so excited at the sight of pearls she'd completely miss the lack of a box.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Today I found a matching pair of pearl earrings to go with the necklace.
    We'll have to have lunch or coffee this week so I can give it all to you. Do you want me to wrap it for you, or do you want to do that your self?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm all for getting some coffee, but I was joking about taking the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Granny (I don't even have the words to describe her) gave me an envelope full of dollar store-ish jewelry. I really don't want the pearls, and they would make your mom happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your granny bought pearls at the Dollar Store? Things must have been different back in the day.

    And if you REALLY don't want them then okay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The rule was always "If Granny gives you food, DON'T EAT IT! Wait until she's gone and throw it away."

    Yeah, she's THAT kind of Granny.

    So anyway, she gave me this envelope with jewelry in it, including a pearl necklace with matching earrings, it was nicer than most of the shit she gives me but I still don't want it.

    My favorite Granny quote to my brother on his birthday...
    "I have two shirts and you can pick which one you want, the one with the stain on it or the one with the hole in it." He honestly couldn't decide.

    If you ever need white trash sitcom material, we have a plethora of Granny stories.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhh. I remember some of the stories you told us at Big Boy now. Notably the chicken foot tendons on a string story. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Right, right...this is the granny that lives in the creepy old red brick house at the corner of field and nook. Too funny. :P

    And, yes, I am gathering ideas for a sitcom...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll have to give you a raincheck on the coffee until next week; I'm having gallbladder surgery tomorrow. You are still welcome to the pearls, either stop by if you're in the neighborhood or the girls can drop them off to you before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was seriously less than a mile from your house when you posted that. I don't think I'll be able to make it back up there though. Sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope everything turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The surgery went oh kay, she's just a little nauseas from the anesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's good then! :)

    ReplyDelete