Saturday, July 13, 2013

Anger Management

The last few weeks of work have been really stressful for me. We are down between two and three managers at any given time, peoples' hours have been cut since the full time law changes, and some of the people who are scheduled to work don't bother to come in anyway because their other part time job is more important to them. I've been doing a lot of extra work in addition to the extra work I usually assign to myself in the form of a never-ending task list and the mountain of work of which my job actually consists. I like to keep busy, but I get the feeling that the more I do at work, the fewer people seem to appreciate any of it.

The thing that frustrates me most about the job, or any retail job for that matter, is that people who come in to shop don't show any sort of respect for my time. Nothing annoys me more when people waste a significant portion of my time, then demand a particular kind of respect. Of course, if I was dealing with these people in any sort of non-degrading situation I would have colorful words for them, but at work these words are reserved for my coworkers via long ranting text messages. I'm an introvert and I can't stand people being in my personal space (I have a very large bubble) for more than a few minutes unless they're decent human beings and will actually listen to my advice.

By the time I get done with work I'm so burned out that I don't really have the energy to do anything of the things that I need or want to do. I'd like to blog more, but I simply don't have the energy. I'm also in the process of learning Actionscript and porting some of my python games to Flash, but I haven't had the energy to work on that since I left Chicago (that was a month ago, but will probably get its own blog post pretty soon). If I'm lucky enough to get two days off, I spend cutting my parents lawn and the other cleaning the parts of the apartment that I consider to be mine (the rat cage, the kitchen, my laundry, etc.)

I'm off tomorrow and I'll see what I can accomplish if I make myself a list and try to stick to it.

1 comment :