Wednesday, August 07, 2013

I'm Thinking of a Number

A few months back, just before I went to Chicago I picked up a book called Game Design with ActionScript. ActionScript is the language in which Flash games are written, so I figured I'd work on learning it in my free time between work and helping my parents. While it is similar to python in that they are both object-oriented languages and use indentation to separate different levels of functions, they differ greatly in the way they process images and random numbers. As a learning exercise, I made an incredibly simple number guessing game.



So, you may notice that there are no buttons (specifically a restart button). Actually, there are two buttons programmed into the game. The images for these buttons reside on my local hard drive and aren't embedded in the .swf file. Without the images, the computer can't create a sprite and with no sprite, there is no clickable button. I'm still unclear on exactly how to do this, and was surprised that they weren't embedded automatically, but it will be my next thing I do.

I also plan to add sound, a guess history, a visual strike counter, and a few other features to the game, just to get a feel of how the language works. If you want to see any features, leave a comment. I do read and appreciate all of the comments I get here. Expect to see more as I dick around with it in my free time.

No comments :

Post a Comment