Friday, April 20, 2007

Back to Edgy

So after 12+ hours (I went to bed after I called Jason, so I can't give an accurate time) Fiesty was finally ready to run on my computer. So I rebooted and not surprisingly, my wifi didn't work. I looked around on some forums to see if there was a fix, and I learned that the driver was added to the blacklist because it can cause problems with the chipset, especially if people have it built into their laptop and can't disable it. After removing it from my blacklist, the card behaved the same way it did in Dapper (i.e. it showed up in the network connections, but didn't actually work).

I'm really glad I made a ghost image of my root hard drive because it only too 12 minutes to return to Edgy. I just didn't feel like messing around with it. So everything is back to the way it was yesterday, but I had a tough time getting GAIM to work right again. I guess my settings were kept on the root partition instead of with the rest of my data and settings because I had to reset all my options and reenter the information for my AIM account (but my MSN and Yahoo! accounts still worked just fine). But reconfiguring an app here and there is a Hell of a lot better than reinstalling Ubuntu or living without Internet access.

There are a few problems that I still need to fix in Edgy. Like I said, I broke my camrea driver. There's probably a simple solution that I'm just overlooking. I've been having problems with stability in WINE, but I recently upgraded to a new version and haven't tested it, so that might be okay. The directional buttons on my AxisPad controller don't work, but the Analog sticks work well, so I'm not even going to bother with that. And, of course, there's the bug that forces me to restart the ACPI daemon every time I reboot my computer.

I need to get on those because I want Jason to accept Ubuntu as a valid operating system. I'm not going to make him use it or anything, but he uses my computer a lot when he comes over because we're both into computers. I guess I'm kind of worried he's going to criticize everything that doesn't work the same way it does in Windows, and especially the things that don't work at all. He's like that some times.

I can't say that I really liked Fiesty overall. There is an application that allows you to install restricted (proprietary) drivers, but it didn't think my ATI Mobility Radeon needed one, so that didn't really work. It replaced all of my icons with really ugly ones and removed a lot of "obsolete" software that I needed. There were some new things in the administration panel, but I couldn't really be bothered playing around with them. Fiesty also ran noticeably slower than Edgy even though many people have been reporting it to be faster.

There's another something being released tomorrow. Ubuntu Studio looks pretty interesting. I can't get Cinerellla to work with Ubuntu and Kino only works with DV files. I'm not sure about the details of Ubuntu Studio, but I think I'll download it tomorrow....or in a few weeks.

2 comments :

  1. I feel sorry for you. Feisty works perfect for me, and it is freakishly amazing. I've never had a Linux installation that I didn't even have to fuck with. No Xorg problems, no Intel WiFi problems, no sound problems. I'm going back to doing most of my writing on Ubuntu now - I somehow find it less distracting, especially when I can't just start WoW up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Ubuntu less distracting too because I always feel compelled to tweak my Windows settings and run Spybot. Oh, and defrag used to take a lot of my time.

    And I'm totally over the disappointment because I found a stable NTFS driver actually works. It's available by default on Feisty, but there are backports for Dapper and Edgy. And I'm okay with having an old version of Ubuntu. It works great for me (with the few exceptions listed in the post) and I don't have any real reason to upgrade.

    ntfs-sg for Ubuntu

    ReplyDelete