Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Some Days I Feel Like Jumping off the Overpass Onto I-94

This is one of those days.

I think I might to better on mood stabilizers (used to treat some types of bipolar disorder) than antidepressants. I don't know if the pills stopped working because I went off them for 3 days, I got used to them, or I stopped having faith that they would magically work. I'm not even sure if they stopped working at all. I might just be having an off day or two.

Or maybe I could just use some good therapy. I'm willing to try it now, but of course, now I don't know if there's a local mental health clinic with a sliding scale. I want to avoid talking to people I'm close to because it's just awkward. I find it hard to express my feelings to people that know me because I try hard not to offend anyone or step on anyone's toes. I know sometimes it doesn't work, but I do try.

Some days I wake up seriously doubting my worth as a human being to the point where I feel like jumping off the overpass onto I-94. I can't help it. There's no reason or warning. I just do. On days like this it really doesn't help to be reminded how much of a douchebag I am because I already know. Some days all I can think about is how bad of a person I am and how little I'm actually worth. Thanks, but I don't need constant reminders.

On other days I don't really care. I have a sense of humor and can take a joke. You may have seen the image on my myspace. It makes me laugh, most of the time. The same goes for gay jokes. Most of the time they make me laugh, but on off days they really get to me. After a while, on a bad day they'll start to add up and I'll start feeling worse about myself. I try not to say anything because I don't want people to feel like they can't talk to me. A few days later I'll feel better and it won't bother me.

I don't let people know when I feel like shit. Everyone thinks they can tell, but you'd be surprised how good of a front I can put up. I probably should just show how I feel though, because when I already feel bad and people keep picking at the few things I let bother me I tend to lash out at people, whether or not they did anything to me. I know I'm a monster. I'm sorry.

6 comments :

  1. Hey Rich,

    It's oh kay to be upset, even to the point of being clinically depressed. I know there are a lot of theories out there that say if you are not happy 110% of the time then you aren't living your life to the fullest, but I want you to know that's a bunch of crap. The Fish Philosophy for example, sucks balls.

    This article made me feel better after I got fired... mayhaps it'll give you a new way of looking at things too:

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/107569/page/1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich,

    Be gentle with yourself. You're not a monster, and nobody expects you to be cheerful 24/7. I know there's a sliding fee clinic in New Haven, but I'll try to find one closer to you. The crisis line number is 586-307-9100, they are there to help. Please call it when you're feeling down.
    We love you.


    2nd thought: the crisis line can tell you where the closest sliding fee clinic is located.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd thought: I miss you so much right now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urgh, days like these. It it helps any, when you start doubting your self worth again, just remember that you're not the only one who gets a vote on that. You're like a company - you may be the CEO, but your friends and family are shareholders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would make me the biggest shareholder, no? If I'm not, I'm going plan a hostile takeover, like EA with Rockstar/Take 2. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich,

    I'll be your body guard

    Julie

    ReplyDelete