Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fuck Generic Carbon Based Life Units

I've been watching a lot of videos on Youtube about California's decision to overturn the ban on gay marriage. I don't watch so much for the video, but mostly to read the idiotic comments. Here are a few of the things I ran into (paraphrased to make them coherent sentences):

"You're ignorant if you think having freedom means having freedom to do what you want." Even after I added "as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights," the guy insisted I was the ignorant one. So what is freedom? Freedom to do what God wants...in this nontheistic country (at least until George W. bought his way into office)? Doesn't that equate to what the guy wants, since so many people seem to think God is talking directly to them or through them or something? We argued in circles about that one.

"I don't care if you're gay, just leave the country." First, why should I leave the country opposed to you? Second, what's so great about the country anyway? Sure, land and gas is cheap (relative to the rest of the world's countries) and we have so called freedom, but this isn't the only free country. Canada, Spain, England, Scotland, Mexico, Italy, Ireland, Sweden, Australia, and many other countries give their citizens similar rights as America does. I could go up north and get free health care, down south for better food and longer days, or across the ocean for a number of different benefits and still have no fewer rights and freedoms than I currently do.

"It's great that gay people can't give blood, but it's a shame they can receive it." I always found that one interesting because I've given examples of HIV can spread through a population of straight people, and get into the blood banks unnoticed and no one would say a thing. Actually, this is similar to the "die" argument, which is popular in almost all debates. If I listed all the people I thought deserved to die, not only would I be exhausted, but I'd bore everyone to death, and unfortunately none of the people on the list would likely be reading it.

Our district manager came for another little visit today, which meant we had to do all our work and then some before he got there. Of course, I was opening my department alone (Jon was there, he was just doing manager stuff). On top of that we clean reptile cages on Wednesday. That meant I had to cram 7 manhours of work into just over 3.5 hours. If that isn't a challenge, I don't know what is.

In case no one noticed, I've been blogging a lot more in the last few days because I've been feeling better. I stopped taking Welbutrin and started taking vitamin C and these horrible yogurt shots my mom bought me. I've also been eating less fast and frozen food more regularly. Still not getting much sleep, but that only bothers me for the first few hours I'm awake.

9 comments :

  1. I read this with iPhone but I suck at typing on it.

    Many people appear unable to see that gay marriage is a civil rights issue. Some of these same people have issues with inter racial marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm internetless for about a week and all of these blogs pop up!! It's almost too much to handle!

    p.s. I have a big house in Houghton now so if you find a way to visit (despite the fact that neither of us have easy transportation) I'd have not only a bed, but a whole room you could stay in.

    p.p.s I <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generic? I thought cloning was illegal in the US. lawl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, I like that you wrote that you've been blogging more lately, I wish I would have read that the yesterday when I posted a comment! Sorry to hear that Jon's such a dick, hopefully something good will come of that soon.

    Well, I'm going to get back to moving out of my apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does Houghton have an airport?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes and no

    Houghton airport is in Hancock, our neighboring city

    ReplyDelete
  7. How far away is this neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hancock is just across the bridge so less than a quarter of a mile, but as far as the airport goes I wouldn't recommend walking it (speaking from experience) but it's not a far drive and there are lots of MTU'rs flying all the god damn time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Random updates:

    1. Houghton airport isn't as far from my house as I was expecting.

    2. Flight attendants don't ask you to put your seat in an upright position if you are sleeping

    3. Cab drivers will add $10 to the fare marked on the meter but will let you out of $5 if you don't have the cash

    4. Qudova's are nice

    5. Shoot 'Em Up is a ridiculous movie

    ReplyDelete