Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Google vs. Youtube?

Upon further consideration I've come upon the conclusion that maybe Google purchasing Youtube isn't the tragedy I had originally imagined. Google paid $1.65 billion (yes, with a billion with a b) for the company, so they obviously have the kind of funds it's going to take to maintain the service. Last I heard Youtube was paying $20 million a year for bandwidth alone. Google probably won't even flinch at that number with all the advertising revenue they pull in.

They also have some nice big data centers sprinkled around the country housing tons of servers and some 5000 employees (that's more than you might think in the IT industry). In theory the new Youtube should run much smoother than the underpowered, antiquated (just over a year old) network, assuming they migrate to their internal servers within the next few months.

I'm excited about how Youtube is going to interact with Google's existing services. Youtubers could easily find other members in their area with Google Maps and Goole Earth. Youtube can now be integrated into Google's popular (although I have no idea why) downloadable search applications to get great videos right onto peoples' desktop and into their browser. With the addition of Gchat, Google Calendar, alerts, and their plentiful web apps, the possibilities are unlimited. Personally, I'd like to see my Youtube mail become a folder in my gmail account.

But by far the biggest thing Google has going for them right now is their name. How do people search? They Google. Everyone with a computer knows who Google is, and unlike Netscape, Magellan, and Jeeves that's not likely to change any time soon.

On a side note, I just found out that Google owns Blogger, where this blog is hosted. I didn't know that, even though it happened three years ago. They also handle my primary email address, and I must say their service is remarkable. Google also has a Linux Search Engine that I find quite helpful at times. I find (the linux version of) Google Earth to be the most interesting and well thought out map system ever. Oh shit, I'm addicted to Google.

4 comments :

  1. Wait, Google purchased Youtube? Those monopolistic bastards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concerr with Mister Jason. And hell...everybody gets addicted to google at one point...Have you Googled yourself???

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of an egotistical, self centered bastard do you take me for?




    Yes.

    ReplyDelete